Wayne County 4-H Beef Department
Things to consider before taking a beef project
Think about how much space is required to house a Beef feeder calf and/or steer. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them. Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, and walking a feeder calf or steer to train them to be ready for the fair? Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Beef projects are very rewarding but are also among the most time-intensive and expensive 4-H projects.
2022 Beef Calendar of Events
- By January 1st - Obtain and care for your market beef animal(s).
- January 15th - Market Steer Weigh-In / Tagging - 9am - 1pm, Coliseum - Wayne County Fairgrounds
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- April 9th - Wayne County 4-H Beef Clinic - 9 am, Coliseum - Wayne County Fairgrounds
- June 1st - Obtain and care for your Breeding Beef / Feeder Calves on or before June 1st
- June 1st - Complete Animal ID for all possible animals (including family back-ups) that you could possibly enter in the fair through 4-HOnline on or before June 1st. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 27th. QA will be offered virtually in 2022. See the Quality Assurance page for more details.
- July 7th Outstanding Beef Exhibitor Project Interviews - alternative to Skillathon, 5-9 pm at the Event Center. Check out Outstanding Exhibitor page for more information.
- Skillathon Interviews - Skillathon Interviews will be offered on the evenings of July 11th and 12th at the Fairgrounds Event Center. Check our Skillathon page for more information.
- August 1 - Fair Entries Due - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries by 11:59 pm at waynejrfair.fairentry.com
- September 8th - 4pm - Beef Cattle may begin arriving at the fairgrounds and must be in place by 10:00 am Friday September 9th.
- September 9th - Beef Cattle Check-In, 4:00 - 5:30 pm in the Coliseum
- September 10th - Steer Show, 10:30 am in the Coliseum
- September 13th - Beef Breeding Show, 5:00 pm in the Coliseum
- September 15th - Market Beef Auction, following the Swine Auction (approx. 4 pm) in the Event Center
Beef Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Beef Resource Handbook (117R) - This one-time purchase contains essential subject matter information for members taking a market beef, beef breeding, beef feeder or dairy beef feeder project. An excellent resource for skillathons!
- Beef Project and Record Book (117) - Complete this required project book every year a beef project is taken. This streamlined version of four previously separate publications allows for multiple projects and can be used by members at all levels. Use with 117R Beef Resource Handbook.
Beef Project Guidelines and Forms
- 2022 Wayne County 4-H Beef Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a beef project including important dates, deadlines, animal id and junior fair information. This document is usally updated each November or December with information for the new year.
- 2022 Beef Bred, Born, and Raised Form - due at Weigh-In / Tagging January 15th
- 2022 Feeder Calf Lease Guidelines
- December Market Steer Letter
- Beef Project Book Judging Form - Due to Club Advisors with completed project book by August 1st
- Questions about Beef projects can be directed to your club advisor, Doug Foxx at the Extension Office, or by contacting Beef Committee Chair Josh Harley.
Beef County and State Fair Animal ID Requirements
- 2022 Beef State Fair EID Tags and Hair Sample Envelopes are available November 15th - January14th to be picked up from the Extension Office during normal business hours Monday through Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm. Cattle must be tagged and hair samples submitted to State Fair by January 15th.
- 2022 Beef Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Beef Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
- Letter to Potential 2022 Market Steer Exhibitors - this letter was sent out to everyone that exhibited a steer in 2021 with information about weigh-in / tagging and other details for the 2022 4-H / Jr. Fair year.
- This year's Beef Clinic is set for April 9, 2022 at 9 am in the Coliseum.
Beef Carcass Contest
- 2022 Beef Carcass Contest Letter
- Beef Carcass Contest Results (will be posted after the Contest)
- Beef Carcass Contest Results video (will be posted after the Contest)
Beef Outstanding Exhibitor Awards Program
Beef Outstanding Record Book Awards
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project including final market auction price and calculating their profit or loss for those taking market projects. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 1st. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Beef Breeding Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
- Market Beef Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
Beef Junior Fair Information
- 2022 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders (will be posted in August)
- 2022 Beef Barn Penning Chart (will be posted in August)
- 2022 Market Steer Show Book (will be posted at fair-time)
- 2022 Beef Breeding Show Book (will be posted at fair-time)
- 2022 Market Steer Sale Order (will be posted at fair-time)
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Beef Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the Beef program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural Society (Senior Fair Board)
- Our 2022 Beef Committee is made up of the following individuals: Matt Stoll, Matt Csapo, Nick Gasser, Kellie Mullet, Rhonda Oser (Sec/Treasurer), Brent Harley, Doug Wirth, Greg Beckler (Vice Chair), Josh Harley(Chair), Dan Wirth, Jenna Barbour, Adam Swinehart, Stephen Heppe (FFA), Terry Wood (Senior Fair Board), Doug Foxx (OSU Extension) and Junior Fair Board members Libby Grossniklaus, Christine Anfang, Scott Armstrong, Ethan Gasser, Mckenna Baney, Aden Beckler, Jadeyn Berry, Carly Csapo, Kya Csapo, Kara McKay, Raelana Moore, Gavin Snyder, Kailynn Wickens, and Morgan Wiles.
Wayne County 4-H Beef Facebook Group
- Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H Beef Facebook Group where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Beef program. Check us out on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/waynecounty4hbeef