Wayne County 4-H Beef Department
Things to consider before taking a beef project
Think about how much space is required to house a Beef feeder calf and/or steer. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them. Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, and walking a feeder calf or steer to train them to be ready for the fair? Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Beef projects are very rewarding but are also among the most time-intensive and expensive 4-H projects.
2021 Beef Calendar of Events
- January 1 - Obtain and care for your steer(s) on or before January 1st
- March 13 - Weigh-In / Tagging 10:00 am - 2:00 pm, Coliseum - Wayne County Fairgrounds
- March 27 - Bad Weather Make Up Date for Weigh-In / Tagging (if needed) 10:00 am - 2:00 pm, Coliseum, Wayne County Fairgounds
- March 18 - 21 - Ohio Beef Expo
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- April 10 - Attend Beef Clinic - 9 am, Coliseum
- June 1 - Complete Animal ID for all possible animals (including family back-ups) that you could possibly enter in the fair through 4-HOnline on or before June 1st. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 27. QA will be offered virtually in 2021. See the Quality Assurance page for more details.
- Skillathon - Skillathon will be offered virtually between July 1 and July 23. Check our Skillathon page for more information.
- Livestock Project Interviews (alternative to Virtual Skillathon) - July 8th 5-9 pm at the Event Center (must sign up in advance)
- OME - Click here for more OME information
- Fair Entries Due August 1st - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries at https://waynejrfair.fairentry.com/
- August 26th - Beef Carcass Contest Live Show - Check-in at 6:00 pm, show begins at 7:00 pm in the Coliseum at the Wayne County Fairgrounds
- August 30th - Beef Carcass Contest Results Show - 6:00 pm, Heffelfinger Meats Inc.
- September 9th - Beef Steers and Feeder Calves may begin arriving at the fairgrounds
- September 10th - Beef projects weighed / checked-in - 4 - 5:30 pm in the Coliseum
- September 11th - Market Beef and Dairy Steer Show - 10:30 am in the Coliseum
- September 14th - Beef Breeding / Feeder Calves Show - 5:00 pm in the Coliseum
- September 16th - Market Beef Auction - immediately following Market Hog Sale - approx. 4:30 pm in the Event Center
- September 16th - Release Times - 10 pm large animals being trucked off the grounds, 11 pm large animals being walked off the grounds
Beef Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Beef Resource Handbook (117R) - This one-time purchase contains essential subject matter information for members taking a market beef, beef breeding, beef feeder or dairy beef feeder project. An excellent resource for skillathons!
- Beef Project and Record Book (117) - Complete this required project book every year a beef project is taken. This streamlined version of four previously separate publications allows for multiple projects and can be used by members at all levels. Use with 117R Beef Resource Handbook.
Beef Project Guidelines and Forms
- 2021 Wayne County 4-H Beef Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a beef project including important dates, deadlines, animal id and junior fair information. This document is usally updated each November or December with information for the new year.
- 2021 Beef Bred, Born, and Raised Form - due at Weigh-In / Tagging March 13th
- 2021 Feeder Calf Lease Guidelines
- November Market Steer Letter
- Beef Project Book Judging Form - Due to Club Advisors with completed project book by August 1st
- Questions about Beef projects can be directed to your club advisor, Doug Foxx at the Extension Office, or by contacting Beef Committee Chair Josh Harley.
Beef Animal ID Requirements
- 2021 Beef Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Beef Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
- Letter to Potential 2021 Market Steer Exhibitors - this letter was sent out to everyone that exhibited a steer in 2020 with information about weigh-in / tagging and other details for the 2021 4-H / Jr. Fair year.
- This year's Beef Clinic will be April 10, 2021 at 9 am in the Coliseum.
Beef Carcass Contest
- 2021 Beef Carcass Contest Letter
- Beef Carcass Contest Results
- Beef Carcass Contest Results video
Beef Outstanding Exhibitor Awards Program
Beef Outstanding Record Book Awards
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project including final market auction price and calculating their profit or loss for those taking market projects. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 1st. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Beef Breeding Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
- Market Beef Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
Beef Junior Fair Information
- 2021 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders
- 2021 Beef Barn Penning Chart
- 2021 Market Steer Show Book
- 2021 Beef Breeding Show Book
- 2021 Market Steer Sale Order
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Beef Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the Beef program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural Society (Senior Fair Board)
- Our 2021 Beef Committee is made up of the following individuals: Matt Stoll, Todd Bair, Jeremiah Johnson, Kellie Mullet, Rhonda Oser (Sec/Treasurer), Brent Harley, Doug Wirth, Greg Beckler (Vice Chair), Josh Harley(Chair), Matt Kendle, Jenna Barbour, Adam Swinehart, Stephen Heppe (FFA), Terry Wood (Senior Fair Board), Doug Foxx (OSU Extension) and Junior Fair Board members Libby Grossniklaus, Christine Anfang, Mckenna Baney, Aden Beckler, Luke Beckler, Luke Beckler, Carly Csapo, Lane Duplaga, Ethan Gasser, and Gavin Snyder.
Wayne County 4-H Beef Facebook Group
- Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H Beef Facebook Group where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Beef program. Check us out on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/waynecounty4hbeef