Wayne County 4-H Dairy Department
Things To Consider Before Taking a Dairy Project
Think about how much space is required to house a Dairy Heifer Calf or Dairy Cow. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them? Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, and walking a heifer and/or cow to train them to be ready for the fair? Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Dairy projects are very rewarding but are also among the most time-intensive and expensive 4-H projects.
2021 Dairy Calendar of Events
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- April 24th - Ohio 4-H DairyPalooza - Ohio's premiere 4-H Dairy Event - 9:00 am - 3 pm Mahoning County Fairgrounds
- June 1st - Obtain and care for your dairy animal(s) on or before June 1st
- June 1st - Complete Animal ID for all possible animals (including family back-ups) that you could possibly enter in the fair through 4-HOnline on or before June 1st. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- June 28 - Wayne County 4-H Summer Dairy Clinic 7:00 PM at the Coliseum
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 27th. QA will be offered virtually in 2021. See the Quality Assurance page for more details.
- Skillathon - Skillathon will be offered virtually between July 1 and July 23. Check our Skillathon page for more information.
- July 8th Dairy Project Interviews - alternative to Skillathon, 5-9 pm at the Event Center (must pre-register)
- August 1 - Fair Entries Due - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries by 11:59 pm at waynejrfair.fairentry.com
- September 10th - Dairy Cattle may begin arriving at the fairgrounds
- September 10th - Dairy Cattle Check-In, 3:00 - 8:00 pm in the Coliseum, All Dairy Cattle must be in place by 11 pm.
- September 11th - Dairy Cattle Check-In, 8:00 - 9:00 am in the Coliseum
- September 11th - Dairy Judging Contest, Registration opens at 8:00 am, Contest begins at 8:30 am in the Coliseum
- September 14th - Dairy Holstein Show, 9:00 am in the Coliseum
- September 14th - Dairy Colored Breeds Show, 1:00 pm in the Coliseum
- September 15th - Dairy Showmanship Show, 9:00 am in the Coliseum
- September 15th - Dairy Products Auction, 11 am in the Coliseum
Dairy Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Dairy Resource Handbook (127R) - This one-time purchase contains essential subject matter information for members taking a market beef, beef breeding, beef feeder or dairy beef feeder project. An excellent resource for skillathons!
- Dairy Cow Project and Record Book (126) - Complete this required project book every year a beef project is taken. This streamlined version of four previously separate publications allows for multiple projects and can be used by members at all levels. Use with 127R Dairy Resource Handbook.
- Dairy Cow Record Keeping Excel File (Microsoft Excel File will download to your computer)
- Dairy Cow Project Judging Form
- Dairy Heifer Project and Record Book (122): Complete this required project and record book every year a dairy heifer project is taken. Learn how to raise, care for, manage, and keep records for one or more dairy heifers. Use with 127R Dairy Resource Handbook
- Dairy Heifer Record Keeping Excel File (Microsoft Excel File will download to your computer)
- Dairy Heifer Project Judging Form
Dairy Project Guidelines and Forms
- 2021 Wayne County 4-H Dairy Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a dairy project including important dates, deadlines, animal ID and Junior Fair information. This document is usually updated in January or February with information for the new year.
- 2021 Dairy Exhibitor Spring Letter
- Questions about Dairy projects can be directed to your club advisor, Doug Foxx at the Extension Office, or by contacting Dairy Committee Chair Heather Oros Yoder.
Dairy Animal ID Requirements
2021 Dairy Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Dairy Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
Dairy Clinic / Educational Resources
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Dairy Committee will be offering a summer clinic on June 28th at 7:00 PM in the Coliseum.
DairyPalooza - Ohio's Premiere 4-h Dairy Event
- This year's Ohio 4-H DairyPalooza was scheduled for Saturday April 24, 2021 at the Canfield Fairgrounds - but was later cancelled due to COVID. Click the link below to view the DairyPalooza website and look for more details to be shared about registration later this spring.
- Ohio 4-H DairyPalooza Website
Dairy Outstanding Exhibitor Awards Program
Dairy Outstanding Record Book Awards
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project and calculating their profit or loss for the year. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 1st. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Dairy Cow Outstanding Record Book Rubric
- Dairy Heifer Outstanding Record Book Rubric
Dairy Junior Fair Information
- 2021 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders
- 2021 Dairy Show Book
- 2021 Dairy Products Auction
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Dairy Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the Dairy program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural Society (Senior Fair Board)
- Our 2021 Dairy Committee is made up of the following individuals: Eileen Gress, Michele Lahmers, Debbie Gilbert, Kristen Davies, Heather Oros-Yoder, Kevin Spreng, Emily Hostettler, Amanda Raber, Lisa Gress, Ed Gill, Jackie Pittman, Scott Sprunger, Kelsey Bowers (FFA), Tanya Marty (Senior Fair Board), Doug Foxx (OSU Extension) and Junior Fair Board members Tim Gunkelman, Kalie Bender, Carissa Pittman, Audrey Sidle, Culver Sidle, and Morgan Wiles.
State 4-h Dairy WEbpage
- Check out what all the Ohio 4-H Dairy Program offers including information about the State Fair Dairy Show.
Wayne County 4-H Dairy Facebook Group
- Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H Dairy Facebook Group where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Dairy program. Check us out on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/waynecounty4hdairy