Wayne County 4-H Dog Department
Things To Consider Before Taking A Dog Project
Think about how much space is required to house a dog at your home. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Do you already own a dog? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them? Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, walking, and socializing a dog to prepare it for project judging and/or the Fair? Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Dog projects can be a lot of fun and are great options for anyone that owns a dog or is interested in becoming a dog owner.
2021 Dog Calendar of Events
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- May 26 - Dog Informational Meeting - 7 pm Goat / Sheep Arena (DO NOT BRING YOUR DOG) Youth Parents, and Advisors should attend. Quality Assurance, Question/Answer session, and other topcis to be presented.
- June 1st - Obtain and care for your dog(s) on or before June 1st
- June 1st - Upload to 4-HOnline photos of the front and side view of your dog, completed Dog Health Form, and copy of your dog license certificate by June 1, 2021. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- June 3 - Dog Rally Clinic - 7pm Goat / Sheep Arena, please bring your dog
- June 9 - Dog Obedience Rally - 7 pm Buss Hall - Wayne County Fairgrounds, please bring your dog
- June 17 - Dog Showmanship Clinic - 7 pm Goat / Sheep Arena, please bring your dog
- June 20 - State Fair Dog Show Entries due to Ohio State Fair, State Fair Agility Entries due to State 4-H Office
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 27th. QA will be offered virtually in 2021. See the Quality Assurance page for more details.
- Skillathon - Skillathon will be offered virtually between July 1 and July 23. Check our Skillathon page for more information.
- July 1 - State Fair Dog Show Poster Contest Entries due to State 4-H Office
- July 8 - Small Animal Project Judging (Alternative to Skillathon) - 5-9 pm Fairgrounds Event Center
- July 8 - Oustanding Dog Exhibitor Exam - 7pm Fairgrounds Event Center, Click here for more Outstanding Exhibitor information
- July 22 - Dog Fun Show - 6:00 pm Goat / Sheep Arena
- August 1 - Jr. Fair Class Entries Due - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries by 11:59 pm at waynejrfair.fairentry.com
- August 10 - Small Animal Project Judging - 6-9 pm Wayne County Fairgrounds
- September 16 - Wayne County Fair Dog Show - 8:30 am Goat / Sheep Arena
- Click here to download a PDF of the 2021 Wayne County 4-H Dog Calendar of Events
Dog Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Dog Resource Handbook (201R) - This resource handbook contains essential information for members taking a dog project and includes everything from selecting a dog that's right for you, proper care, training techniques, dog anatomy, competition, and much more. Purchase it just once and use it for several years. Use with 201 Dog Project and Record Book.
- Dog Project and Record Book (201) - Complete this required project and record book every year a dog project is taken. Get to know all aspects of dog care and welfare while keeping complete records of your experience as a dog owner. Use one project book each year, even if your dog is involved in more than one project and even if you have more than one dog. Appropriate for dogs who are family pets and for dogs who are used for show. Use with 201R Dog Resource Handbook.
Dog Project Guidelines and Forms
- 2021 Wayne County 4-H Dog Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a dairy project including important dates, deadlines, animal ID and Junior Fair information. This document is usually updated each January or February with information for the new year.
- 2021 Dog Exhibitor Spring Letter
- 2021 Dog Identification and Vaccination Health Certificate Form
- 2021 Dog Calendar of Events
- Dog Project Judging Form
- Questions about dog projects can be directed to your club advisor, Doug Foxx at the Extension Office, or by contacting Dog Committee Chair .
Dog Animal ID Requirements
2021 Dog Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Dog Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
The Dog Committee offers four clinics annually. See dates above under Dog Calendar of Events. The first occurs in May and is an informational meeting and Dog focused Quality Assurance session. Please do not bring your dog to the informational meeting. However, dogs are welcome at the other three clinics - Obedience, Showmanship, and Rally. Each clinic offers instruction from adult committee volunteers and opportunities to practice what is being taught.
Dog Outstanding Exhibitor Awards Program
Dog Outstanding Record Book Awards
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 1st. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Outstanding Dog Record Book Rubric
Dog Junior Fair Information
- 2021 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders
- 2021 Dog Show Book
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Dog Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the Beef program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural Society (Senior Fair Board)
- Our 2021 Dog Committee is made up of the following individuals: Ann Welby-Hange, Sara Wolf (Sec), Deanna Skelton (Chair), Alyssa Mack (JFB Advisor), Tiffany Pompey (Vice Chair), Donald Badger (Senior Fair Board), Doug Foxx (OSU Extension) and Junior Fair Board members Mary Wellert, Amelia Smith, Kya Csapo, Libby Grossniklaus, and Owen Grossniklaus.
State 4-H Dog Webpage
- Check out what all the Ohio 4-H Dog Program offers including information about the State Fair Dog Show
Wayne County 4-H Dog Projects Facebook Page
- Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H Dog Projects Facebook Page where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Dog program. Check us out on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/WayneCounty4HDog