Private pesticide applicators with a license to purchase and apply restricted use pesticides are required to attend 3 hours of recertification training every 3 years to maintain their license. Private applicator license categories are: Core (basic pesticide handling, application, safety, rules and regulations), 1: Grain and Cereal Field Crops, 2: Forage Crops and Livestock, 3: Fruit and Vegetable Crops, 4: Nursery and Forest Crops, 5: Greenhouse Crops, 6: Fumigation. OSU Extension Wayne and Holmes Counties will again be collaborating to provide private applicator pesticide recertification and, new this year, fertilizer certification in 2015. In 2015 pre-registration including sending in your $35 pesticide recertification fee is encouraged to help get you through the sign-in process quicker and to allow us to better plan for number of handout materials. Pre-register by contacting the Wayne County Extension office at 330-264-8722 and providing your name, address and phone number. Checks can be made payable to OSU Extension and sent to the Wayne County Extension office at 428 West Liberty Street, Wooster OH 44691. A receipt for your payment will be available when you sign in at the program. You can also choose to pay at the door.
Private pesticide applicator recertification training is scheduled on the following dates and at the following locations. Except for the January 29 date, all other meetings will cover core and categories 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Please plan on arriving at least 15 to 20 minutes before the meeting starts to allow time to get signed in, paid and to pick up the handout materials and recertification form.
- Thursday, January 29: 9:00 am at the Shisler Center, OARDC in Wooster as part of Shearer Equipment John Deere Day.
- Friday, February 13: Fisher Auditorium, (North Exhibit Area) OARDC, 1680 Madison Ave. in Wooster. 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm.
- Tuesday, February 17: Mt. Hope Auction Barn, 8076 St. Rt. 241, Mt. Hope from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm. Training in Core and categories 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
- Friday, February 20: Farmerstown Auction Barn, 2807 St. Rt. 557, Baltic, from 12:30 pm until 3:30 pm.
- Tuesday, February 24: Sprunger Building, Kidron Auction, 13071 Emerson Rd, Kidron, from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm.
- Friday, March 13: Special no technology session, no videos or power point. Kidron Fire Hall, 4772 Kidron Rd, Kidron, from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm.
Cost of the recertification training is $35 for the license holder. Other farm or family non-license holders can attend at no charge. The license renewal fee paid to the Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) is an additional $30. For more information contact the Wayne County Extension office at 330-264-8722.