2018 Ag Outlook and Policy Meeting
International trade agreements and renegotiation of trade agreements, discussions on the 2018 farm bill, a new tax bill; Each of these topics has implications for the farm economy and quite possibly for on-farm management decisions in 2018. Get the latest information about these and other timely topics at the 2018 Ag Outlook and Policy Meeting scheduled for Wednesday, January 31 at Fisher Auditorium on the OARDC campus in Wooster.
Plan now to attend the 2018 Ag Outlook and Policy meeting and learn about the opportunities and challenges for the agricultural sector in 2018. Pick up some tips on strategies and practices that may help you and your agricultural business. The day begins with sign-in at 8:45 am; the program starts at 9:30 am and concludes at 3:30 pm. Registration cost is $15/person. Registration includes morning refreshments, noon lunch and handout materials. Facility rental and speaker expenses are covered with thanks to sponsorships provided by Farmers National Bank, Wayne Savings Community Bank, and Farm Credit Mid-America.
Topics and presenters for the Ag Outlook and Policy Meeting include:
- 2018 Farm Bill Policy Update: Ben Brown, Program Manager, Ohio Farm Management Program. Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics
- International Trade Agreements and Implications for Domestic Agriculture: Ian Sheldon, Andersons Chair in Agricultural Marketing, Trade and Policy. Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics
- Dairy Production Economics Update: Dianne Shoemaker, Extension Field Specialist, Dairy Production Economics
- Examining the 2018 Ohio Farm Economy: Crop Budgets, Land Values and Cropland Rental Rates. Barry Ward, Extension Farm Management and Production Leader.
- Grain Market Outlook and Grain Marketing Strategies: Jim Byrne, Byrne Investment Services
- Farm Tax Update: David Marrison, Extension Educator, Ashtabula County
Registration deadline is January 24. Register by contacting the Wayne County Extension office at 330-264-8722 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name/names of those attending, phone number and email or mailing address. An informational flyer and registration form is available on the Wayne County Extension web site at: http://go.osu.edu/AgOutlook18
Farmer’s Agricultural Income Tax Webinar
The OSU Extension Income Tax Schools program has scheduled a two-hour Farmer’s Agricultural Income Tax Webinar for Monday, January 29 from 10:00 am until 12:00 noon. The webinar is designed to provide information to farmers on the things you need to know to prepare your 2017 income tax return. Some of the topics to be covered include:
- Income and deductions
- Transfer of Farm Assets
- Farm Employees
- Self-employment Tax and Social Security Benefits
- Miscellaneous Ag Tax Issues
Presenters include Barry Ward, Director of the OSU Extension Income Tax Schools, Chris Bruynis, Extension Educator Ross County and David Marrison, Extension Educator Ashtabula County. The cost of the webinar is $35. Register on-line at go.osu.edu/taxschools. Contact Julie Moose at 614-292-2433 or via email at email@example.com if you have questions or need more information.
Private Pesticide Applicator License Recertification 2018
OSU Extension Wayne and Holmes Counties are collaborating to provide private applicator pesticide recertification and fertilizer certification. Pre-registration including sending in your $35 pesticide recertification fee is encouraged. Pre-register by contacting the Wayne County Extension office at 330-264-8722. Additionally this year, we have an on-line registration option through an OSU Columbus campus based system called Cvent. A link for that option is provided for the Wayne County locations.
Applicators are encouraged to arrive 15 to 20 minutes before the advertised program starting time, to allow for sign-in and picking up handout materials. Please remember to bring your pesticide license with you to the training session. Except for the January 25 John Deere Day program all meetings will cover core, and categories 1,2,3,4,5 and 6.
Private pesticide applicator recertification training is scheduled on the following dates and locations:
- Thursday, January 25: As a part of Shearer Equipment John Deere Day; 9:00 am - Noon at Shisler Conference Center, OARDC in Wooster, sponsored by Shearer Equipment John Deere. Training provided in Core and categories 1, 2, and 6 only. Cvent registration link: http://www.cvent.com/d/ltq207
- Friday, February 9: Fisher Auditorium, (North Exhibit Area) OARDC, 1680 Madison Ave. in Wooster. 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm. Cvent registration link: http://www.cvent.com/d/ntq204
- Wednesday, February 14: Farmerstown Auction Barn, 2807 St. Rt. 557, Baltic, from 12:30 pm until 3:30 pm.
- Tuesday, February 20: Mt. Hope Auction Barn, 8076 St. Rt. 241, Mt. Hope from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm.
- Friday, March 9: Special no technology session, no videos or power point. Kidron Fire House, 4772 Kidron Rd, Kidron, from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm. Limited seating. Cvent registration link: http://www.cvent.com/d/3tq200
- Tuesday, March 13: Sprunger Building, Kidron Auction, 13071 Emerson Rd, Kidron, from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm. Cvent registration link: http://www.cvent.com/d/5tq20x
- Tuesday, March 13 EVENING Program: Sprunger Building, Kidron Auction, 13071 Emerson Rd, Kidron. 6:15 pm to 9:15 pm. Cvent registration link: http://www.cvent.com/d/vtq25y
Cost of the recertification training is $35 for the license holder. For more information, contact the Wayne County Extension office at 330-264-8722.