Wayne County 4-H Poultry Department
Things to Consider Before Taking a Poultry Project
Think about how much space is required to house the poultry projects you're considering. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them? Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, learning about, and working with your poultry animals to be ready for project judging and the fair? Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Poultry projects can be very rewarding for those who are prepared to house and work with their birds.
2023 Poultry Calendar of Events
- Market Geese - Hatch date any time after January 1 of current year
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- May 1 - All market poultry orders due into the Extension office.
- Quality Assurance - will be offered in person May 9th @ 6pm at Fisher Auditorium and at livestock clinics. See the Quality Assurance page for more details. Watch for your News & Notes for more information.
- May 19th - May 29th - Market Turkey hatch dates
- May 25th - Market Turkey Chick Pick up at Centerra
- June 1st - Obtain and care for your project animal(s) on or before June 1st (except market chickens and market ducks)
- June 1st - Complete Animal ID for all possible animals (including family back-ups) that you could possibly enter in the fair through 4-HOnline on or before June 1st. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- June 15th and June 19th - Skillathon Interviews - check our Skillathon page for more information.
- * Please Note a Date Change - June 13th Poultry Clinic - 6:00 - 8:00pm Sheep & Goat Arena
- July 11th - Outstanding Market Exhibitor Exam - 5:00 - 9:00 pm, Fairgrounds Event Center
- July 12th - Earliest hatch date for Market Ducks
- July 13th - Centerra Market Duck Pick up
- July 19th - Earliest hatch date for Market Chickens
- July 19th Last Chance Quality Assurance (Fee Charged)
- July 20th - Pick up Market Chickens ordered from Gerber Hatchery pick up at Junior Fair Board Office times TBA
- July 20th - Pick up Market Chickens ordered from Centerra pick up at Centerra
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 26th.
- August 1 - Jr. Fair Class Entries Due - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries at waynejrfair.fairentry.com
- August 1 - Animal ID and Sale Photograph due in 4-H Online
- August 8th - Late Project Judging - Project books and OME Posters due 6:00 - 9:00pm Event Center
- * Please Note a Date Change - August 23rd - Turkey Blood Testing - Sheep/Goat Arena 6:00pm-8:00pm
- August 26th - Poultry Barn Set Up Day - 9:00 am Event Center
- September 1st - Market Poultry Sale Photograph due, details announced in News & Notes
- September 8th - Poultry Check-In - 3:00 - 9:00 pm Event Center
- September 11th - Poultry Show - 8:00 am Event Center
- September 13th - Poultry Auction - Event Center
Poultry Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Poultry Project and Record Book (150) - Are you interested in raising chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, or guineas? This project can help you take better care of your birds through the experience of feeding, watering, and monitoring your animal's health. For reliable, resource-based online and print sources for information about poultry projects visit ohio4h.org/publications and download the free flyer.
- Wayne County 4-H Poultry Resource Book - compiled from other state's resources in 2020
Old Poultry Project Books - For Reference ONLY
- Every 4-H member must purchase and utilize the new 150 Poultry record book. The old books are only to be used as a resource and reference in studying for the skillathon until the new 150 Poultry Resource Handbook is available.
- Raising Broilers
- Raising Pullets
- Fancy Poultry
- Duck and Goose
- Raising Turkeys
Poultry Project Guidelines and Forms
- 2023 Wayne County 4-H Poultry Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a dairy project including important dates, deadlines, animal ID and Junior Fair information. This document is usally updated each November or December with information for the new year.
- 2023 Poultry Calendar of Events
- Poultry Project Judging Form
- Questions about Poultry projects can be directed to your club advisor, Diane Johnson at the Extension Office, or by contacting the Poultry/Rabbit Committee Chair Hannah Becker
Poultry Animal ID Requirements
2023 Poultry Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Poultry Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
Poultry Clinic and Educational Resources
- The Poultry / Rabbit Committee will be holding a poultry clinic on * NEW DATE* June 13th from 6:00 - 8:00 PM in the Goat/Sheep Arena at the fairgrounds.
POULTRY OUTSTANDING EXHIBITOR PROGRAM
Poultry Outstanding Record Book
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project including final market auction price and calculating their profit or loss for those taking market projects. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 4th. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Poultry Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
Poultry Junior Fair Information
- 2023 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders
- 2023 Important Message to Poultry Exhibitors from Senior Fair Board Regarding Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza
- 2023 Poultry/Rabbit Pen Assignments
- 2023 Show Book
Poultry / Rabbit Committee
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Poultry / Rabbit Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the horse program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural Society (Senior Fair Board)
- Our 2023 Poultry/Rabbit Committee is made up of the following individuals: Hannah Becker (Chair), Michele Baker, Daniel Linden, Briar Lehman, Sarah Zimmerly, Tanner Herbert, Michael Springer, Stephanie Roberts, Caite Noyes (FFA), Diane Johnson (OSU Extension), Mike Gerhart and Russ Johnson (Senior Fair Liaison) and Junior Fair Board members Grady Bickett, Kayleigh Molnar, Lilee Mullen, Bella Nardecchia, Braydan Springer, Halea Taylor, Asa Troutman, and Jenna Zimmerly.
State 4-H Poultry Webpage
- For more information about the Ohio 4-H Poultry Program be sure to visit https://ohio4h.org/animalsciences/poultry
Wayne County 4-H Poultry Facebook Group
Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H Poultry Facebook Group where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Poultry program. Check us out on Facebook at:https://www.facebook.com/groups/waynecounty4hpoultry