Steps to Home Ownership
Ohio State University Extension in Wayne County and Wayne Metropolitan Housing Authority have been sponsoring Home Ownership classes for more than 20 years. During that time more than 500 families have participated in the program and approximately 200 have successfully become home owners. This program meets the requirements for the CHIP, Housing Choice Voucher Home Ownership and USDA Rural Development programs.
Class Topics Include:
- Home Buyer Decisions - Advantages/Challenges, Affordability, Lender Expectations, Fair Housing practices, Shopping for financing
- Budgeting and Credit Management - Establishing a savings plan, Setting financial goals, Understanding Credit, Building and maintaining a credit record, Consequences of default
- Home Inspections, Maintenance and Repair - Developing a maintenance plan, Hiring and dealing with a contractor
- Home Buying Process - Making an offer/signing a contract, Arranging for insurance, Loan closing process.
2020 CLASS SCHEDULE:
- July 22, 29, August 5, 12 5:30 - 8:00 PM*
- November 10, 17, 24, December 1 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
* Classes to be held online
Post Purchase Classes
The Steps to Home Ownership Post-Purchase series focuses on maintaining your new budget to support your purchase, your credit score and record keeping, basic home maintenance, and homeowners insurance. Register for this series by calling the Wayne County OSU Extension office at 330-264-8722.
4 weekly sessions cover topics such as:
- How your budget change after you buy a house
- How to plan for emergencies, plan for savings
- Setting up a filing system, how long to keep records
- Basics of home repairs that you can do yourself
- What’s the schedule of seasonal maintenance?
- What does it mean to be a good neighbor?
- Do you have insurance, and a will?