Wayne County 4-H Rabbit Department
Things To Consider Before Taking A RAbbit Project
Think about how much space is required to house the rabbit projects you're considering. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them? Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, learning abbout, and working with your rabbits to be ready for project judging and the fair? Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Rabbit projects can be very rewarding for those who are prepared to house and work with their rabbits.
2022 Rabbit Calendar of Events
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- QA - will be offered May 2, 10, 18, and 26 @ 6pm virtually in 2022. Watch for your News & Notes for more information.
- June 1st - Obtain and care for your project animal(s) on or before June 1st (except market rabbits)
- June 1st - Complete Animal ID for all possible animals (including family back-ups) that you could possibly enter in the fair through 4-HOnline on or before June 1st. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- June 7th - Rabbit Clinic 7:00 PM, Goat/Sheep Arena
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 27th.
- July 7th - Rabbit Project Interviews - 5-9 pm Fairgrounds Event Center
- July 7th - Oustanding Market Exhibitor (OME) Exam - 5-9pm Event Center.
- July 11th & 12th - Skillathon Interview Judging - Skillathon Interviews will be held on July 11 & 12 @ 6:30 - 9:00pm, Event Center, Wayne County Fairgrounds
- August 1st - Fair Entries - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries at waynejrfair.fairentry.com
- August 27th - Possession date for market rabbits
- August 27th - Market rabbit tattooing - 9:00 am - 12 noon, Event Center
- August 27th - Rabbit Barn Set Up Day - 9:00 am, Event Center
- September 1st - Market Rabbit Photos Due, watch News & Notes for more information.
- September 8th - Wayne County Fair Rabbit Check-In Only- 3:00 - 9:00 pm, Event Center
- September 10th - Wayne County Fair Rabbit Show - 8:00 am, Event Center
- September 14th - Market Rabbit Auction - Event Center
Rabbit Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Rabbit Resource Handbook (228R) - Order this book only once and use for several years. It contains essential subject matter information for members taking a market rabbit, breeding rabbit, or pet rabbit project. This is an excellent source for skillathons. Use with 225 Breeding Rabbit Project and Record Book, 226 Market Rabbit Project and Record Book and 227 Pet Rabbit Project and Record Book
- Market Rabbit Project and Record Book (226) - Complete this required project book every year a market rabbit project is taken. Use with 228R Rabbit Resource Handbook.
- Breeding Rabbit Project and Record Book (225) - "Breeding" rabbits are rabbits kept for exhibition, not ones that are bred to produce offspring. Complete this project book every year a breeding rabbit project is taken. Use with 228R Rabbit Resource Handbook
- Pet Rabbit Project and Record Book (227) - Complete this required project book every year a pet rabbit project is taken. Use with 228R Rabbit Resource Handbook.
Rabbit Project Guidelines and Forms
- 2022 Wayne County 4-H Rabbit Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a dairy project including important dates, deadlines, animal ID and Junior Fair information. This document is usally updated each November or December with information for the new year.
- 2022 Rabbit Calendar of Events
- 2022 Rabbit Exhibitor Spring Letter
- 2022 Rabbit Bred, Born, and Raised Form
- Breeding Rabbit Project Judging Form
- Market Rabbit Project Judging Form
- Pet Rabbit Project Judging Form
- Questions about goat projects can be directed to your club advisor, Doug Foxx at the Extension Office, or by contacting Poultry/Rabbit Committee Chair
Rabbit Animal ID Requirements
2022 Rabbit Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Rabbit Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
Rabbit Clinic / Educational Resources
The Poultry / Rabbit Committee will be holding a Rabbit Clinic on June 7th at 7:00 PM in the Goat/Sheep Arena at the fairgrounds.
Rabbit Outstanding Exhibitor Awards Program
Rabbit Outstanding REcord Books
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project including final market auction price and calculating their profit or loss for those taking market projects. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 5th. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Breeding Rabbit Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
- Market Rabbit Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
- Pet Rabbit Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
Rabbit Junior Fair Information
- 2022 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders
- 2022 Poultry/Rabbit Pen Assignments
- 2022 Show Book
Poultry / Rabbit Committee
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Poultry/Rabbit Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the poultry/rabbit program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural SoJamie Bickett (Vice Chair), Lily Bickett (JFB Advisor), Hannah Becker (Chair), Michele Baker, Daniel Linden, Briar Lehman, Sarah Zimmerly, Missy Rossiter, Tanner Herbert, Michael Springer, Stephanie Roberts, Caite Noyes (FFA), Diane Johnson (OSU Extension), Mike Gerhart and Russ Johnson (Senior Fair Liaison) and Junior Fair Board members Grady Bickett, Braydan Springer, Edward Bohner, Karissa Clark, Asa Troutman, Kayleigh Molnar, Lilee Mullen and Garrett Troyer.
State 4-H Rabbit Webpage
- For more information about the Ohio 4-H Rabbit Program be sure to visit https://ohio4h.org/statewide-programs/animal-sciences/rabbit
Wayne County 4-H Rabbit Facebook Group
Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H Rabbit Facebook Group where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Rabbit program. Check us out on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/waynecounty4hrabbit