Wayne County 4-H Rabbit Department
Things To Consider Before Taking A RAbbit Project
Think about how much space is required to house the rabbit projects you're considering. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them? Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, learning abbout, and working with your rabbits to be ready for project judging and the fair? Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Rabbit projects can be very rewarding for those who are prepared to house and work with their rabbits.
2023 Rabbit Calendar of Events
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- Quality Assurance - will be offered in person May 9th @ 6pm at Fisher Auditorium and at livestock clinics. See the Quality Assurance page for more details.
- June 1st - Obtain and care for your project animal(s) on or before June 1st (except market rabbits)
- June 1st - Complete Animal ID for all possible animals (including family back-ups) that you could possibly enter in the fair through 4-HOnline on or before June 1st. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- June 6th - Rabbit Clinic 6:00 PM, Goat/Sheep Arena
- June 15th and June 19th - Skillathon Interviews - check our Skillathon page for more information.
- July 11th - Oustanding Market Exhibitor (OME) Exam - 5-9pm Event Center.
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 26th.
- August 1st - Fair Entries - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries at waynejrfair.fairentry.com
- August 8th - All Project Books and OME Posters Due - Late Project Judging 6-9 Fairgrounds Event Center
- August 26th - Possession date for market rabbits
- August 26th - Market rabbit tattooing - 9:00 am - 12 noon, Event Center
- August 26th - Rabbit Barn Set Up Day - 9:00 am, Event Center
- September 1st - Market Rabbit Photos Due, watch News & Notes for more information.
- September 7th - Wayne County Fair Rabbit Check-In Only- 3:00 - 9:00 pm, Event Center
- September 9th - Wayne County Fair Rabbit Show - 8:00 am, Event Center
- September 13th - Market Rabbit Auction - Event Center
Rabbit Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Rabbit Resource Handbook (228R) - Order this book only once and use for several years. It contains essential subject matter information for members taking a market rabbit, breeding rabbit, or pet rabbit project. This is an excellent source for skillathons. Use with 225 Breeding Rabbit Project and Record Book, 226 Market Rabbit Project and Record Book and 227 Pet Rabbit Project and Record Book
- Rabbit Project and Record Book (228) NEW IN 2023! - Complete this required for youth taking ANY rabbit project (market, breeding, and/or pet). Use with 228R Rabbit Resource Handbook.
Rabbit Project Guidelines and Forms
- 2023 Wayne County 4-H Rabbit Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a dairy project including important dates, deadlines, animal ID and Junior Fair information. This document is usally updated each November or December with information for the new year.
- 2023 Rabbit Calendar of Events
- 2023 Rabbit Bred, Born, and Raised Form
- Breeding Rabbit Project Judging Form
- Market Rabbit Project Judging Form
- Pet Rabbit Project Judging Form
- Questions about rabbit projects can be directed to your club advisor, Diane Johnson at the Extension Office, or by contacting Poultry/Rabbit Committee Chair, Hannah Becker.
Rabbit Animal ID Requirements
2023 Rabbit Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Rabbit Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
Rabbit Clinic / Educational Resources
The Poultry / Rabbit Committee will be holding a Rabbit Clinic on June 6th at 6:00 PM in the Goat/Sheep Arena at the fairgrounds.
Rabbit Outstanding Exhibitor Awards Program
Rabbit Outstanding REcord Books
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project including final market auction price and calculating their profit or loss for those taking market projects. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 4th. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Breeding Rabbit Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
- Market Rabbit Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
- Pet Rabbit Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
Rabbit Junior Fair Information
- 2023 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders
- 2023 Poultry/Rabbit Pen Assignments
- 2023 Show Book
Poultry / Rabbit Committee
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Poultry/Rabbit Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the poultry/rabbit program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural Society (Senior Fair Board)
- Hannah Becker (Chair), Michele Baker, Daniel Linden, Briar Lehman, Sarah Zimmerly, Tanner Herbert, Michael Springer, Stephanie Roberts, Caite Noyes (FFA), Diane Johnson (OSU Extension), Mike Gerhart and Russ Johnson (Senior Fair Liaison) and Junior Fair Board members Grady Bickett, Kayleigh Molnar, Lilee Mullen, Bella Nardecchia, Braydan Springer, Halea Taylor, Asa Troutman, and Jenna Zimmerly.
State 4-H Rabbit Webpage
- For more information about the Ohio 4-H Rabbit Program be sure to visit https://ohio4h.org/statewide-programs/animal-sciences/rabbit
Wayne County 4-H Rabbit Facebook Group
Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H Rabbit Facebook Group where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Rabbit program. Check us out on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/waynecounty4hrabbit