Wayne County 4-H Sheep Department
Things To Consider Before Taking A Sheep PRoject
Think about how much space is required to house a lamb. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them? Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, and walking a lamb or multiple sheep to train them to be ready for the fair. Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Sheep projects are very rewarding but are also time intensive.
2023 Sheep Calendar of Events
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- Quality Assurance - will be offered in person May 9th @ 6pm at Fisher Auditorium and at livestock clinics. See the Quality Assurance page for more details.
- June 1st - Obtain and care for your project animal(s) on or before June 1st
- June 1st - Complete Animal ID for all possible animals (including family back-ups) that you could possibly enter in the fair through 4-HOnline on or before June 1st. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- June 15th and June 19th - Skillathon Interviews - check our Skillathon page for more information.
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 26th.
- July 11th Oustanding Market Exhibitor Exam (OME/OBE) - 5:00pm - 9:00 pm, Event Center
- August 1st - Jr. Fair Class Entries Due - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries by 11:59 pm at waynejrfair.fairentry.com
- August 8th - All Project Books and OME Posters Due - Late Project Judging 6:00pm - 9:00pm Fairgrounds Event Center
- August 26th - Carcass Lamb Live Show - 9:00 am, Goat / Sheep Arena, weigh in 8:00am - 8:45am
- August 30th - Carcass Lamb Results Show - 6:00 pm 3D Meats, Dalton
- September 7th - Wayne County Jr. Fair Lamb Check-In - 5:00 - 8:00 pm, Goat / Sheep Arena
- September 8th - Wayne County Jr. Fair Lamb Check-In - 9:00 am - 8:00 pm, Goat / Sheep Arena
- September 11th - Market Lamb and Showmanship Show - 12 noon, Goat / Sheep Arena
- September 12th - Breeding Sheep Show - 3 pm, Goat / Sheep Arena
- September 13th - Market Lamb Auction - Event Center
Sheep Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Sheep Resource Handbook (194R) - Order this book once and use it for several years. Contains essential subject matter information for members taking a market lamb or sheep breeding project. An excellent resource for skillathons. Use with 198 Market Lamb Project and Record Book and 199 Sheep Breeding Project and Record Book.
- Sheep Breeding Project and Record Book (199) - Complete this required project book every year a sheep breeding project is taken. Use with 194R Sheep Resource Handbook.
- Market Lamb Project and Record Book (198) - Complete this required project book every year a market lamb project is taken. Use with 194R Sheep Resource Handbook.
Sheep PRoject Guidelines and Forms
- 2023 Wayne County 4-H Sheep Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a dairy project including important dates, deadlines, animal ID and Junior Fair information. This document is usually updated each November or December with information for the new year.
- 2023 Sheep Bred, Born, and Raised Form
- Breeding Sheep Project Judging Form
- Market Sheep Project Judging Form
- Questions about Sheep projects can be directed to your club advisor, Diane Johnson at the Extension Office, or by contacting Sheep Committee Chair Geoffrey Zimmerly.
Sheep Animal ID Requirements
2023 Sheep Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Sheep Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
Sheep Clinic / Educational Resources
- Saturday June 3rd at 9:00am and July 10th at 6:00, at the Coliseum Wayne County Fairgrounds
Sheep Carcass Contest
- Sheep Carcass Contest Rules
- Sheep Carcass Letter
- August 26th - Carcass Lamb Live Show - 9:00 am, Goat / Sheep Arena, Weigh in 8:00 - 8:45am
- View Lamb Live Show Results
- August 30th - Carcass Lamb Results Show - 6 pm at 3D Meats, Dalton
- View Lamb Carcass Show Results
- Sheep Carcass Excused Absence Rules
- Sheep Carcass Excused Absence Video Rubric
Sheep Outstanding Exhibitor Awards PRogram
Sheep Outstanding Record Books
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project including final market auction price and calculating their profit or loss for those taking market projects. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 4th. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Breeding Sheep Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
- Market Sheep Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
Sheep Junior Fair Information
- 2023 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders
- 2023 Sheep Barn Penning Chart
- 2023 Market Lamb Show Book
- 2023 Sheep Breeding Show Book
- 2023 Market Lamb Sale Order
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Sheep Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the Sheep program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural Society (Senior Fair Board)
- Our 2023 Sheep Committee is made up of the following individuals: Bethany Croskey, Craig Simmons, Clay Johnson, Lisa Gwin (Vice Chair), Tina Vodika, Nikkie Beeman, Geoffrey Zimmerly (Chair), Christy Johnson (JFB Advisor), Abbey VanTyne (Secretary, FFA), Mike Gerhart and Russ Johnson (Senior Fair Board), Diane Johnson (OSU Extension) and Junior Fair Board members Jagger Hyatt, Kate Johnson, Blake Simmons, Mason Johnson, Molly Watson, and Cole Walenciak.
Wayne County 4-H Sheep Facebook Group
Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H Sheep Facebook Group where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Sheep program. Check us out on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2455465891220701