Wayne County 4-H Swine Department
Things To Consider Before Taking A Swine Project
Think about how much space is required to house a market hog. Do you have enough physical space and the proper shelter? Are you aware of feed costs and and have you budgeted for them? Are you prepared to invest the money and time involved in caring for, grooming, and walking a market hog to be ready for the fair? Are the youth and parent(s), guardian(s), or other adult helper(s) prepared to make the time and financial commitment? Swine projects are very rewarding but can also be time intensive and somewhat expensive.
2021 Swine Calendar of Events
- Enroll in 4-H through 4-H Online by April 1st (note: clubs may set an earlier deadline)
- March 1st - June 1st - Tags are available for pick up from the Extension Office - Monday - Thursday 8 am - 4:30 pm
- June 1st - Obtain and care for your project animal(s) on or before June 1st
- June 1st - Complete Animal ID for all possible animals (including family back-ups) that you could possibly enter in the fair through 4-H Online on or before June 1st. Help sheets are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- June 1st - All hogs must be tagged
- June 1st - Ractopamine affidavit signed and uploaded to 4-H Online
- Swine Clinic - Date / time TBA
- Complete Quality Assurance Training by July 27th. QA will be offered virtually in 2021. See the Quality Assurance page for more details.
- Skillathon - Skillathon will be offered virtually between July 1 and July 23. Check our Skillathon page for more information.
- July 8th Swine Project Interviews - (Alternative to Skillathon) 5-9 pm, Fairgrounds Event Center
- July 8th - Oustanding Market Exhibitor Exam - 7 pm, Fairgrounds Event Center, Click here for more OME information
- August 1 - Jr. Fair Class Entries Due - Make all Junior Fair Class Entries by 11:59 pm at waynejrfair.fairentry.com
- September 9th - Swine Fair Check-In / Weigh-In - 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Swine Barn
- September 10th - Swine Fair Check-In / Weigh-In - 10:00 am - 10:00 pm, Swine Barn
- September 13th - Swine Showmanship Show - 8:00 am - Event Center
- September 14th - Market Swine Show - 8:00 am - Event Center
- September 16th - Swine Auction - 8:30 am - Event Center
Swine Project Books
- The books listed below can be ordered through your 4-H club advisor, purchased directly from the Wayne County Extension Office, or ordered online at extensionpubs.osu.edu
- Swine Resource Handbook (134R) - Order only once and use for several years. Contains essential subject matter information for members taking a market hog or swine breeding project. This is an excellent resource for skillathons. Use with 139 Market Hog Project and Record Book
- Market Hog Project and Record Book (139) - Complete this required project book every year a market hog project is taken. Use with 134R Swine Resource Handbook. Includes revised Good Production Practices.
Swine Project Guidelines and Forms
- 2021 Wayne County 4-H Swine Project Guidelines - published annually, this document provides an overview of the most important things youth and parents should know about taking a dairy project including important dates, deadlines, animal ID and Junior Fair information. This document is usally updated each November or December with information for the new year.
- 2021 Swine Bred, Born, and Raised Form - Due June 1st
- 2021 Swine Ractopamine Affidavit - Due June 1st and again at Fair Check-In
- Swine Project Judging Form
- Questions about goat projects can be directed to your club advisor, Doug Foxx at the Extension Office, or by contacting Goat Committee Chair
Swine Animal ID Requirements
2021 Swine Animal ID Help Sheet - overview of how to enter Swine Animal ID in 4-HOnline and lists which fields and forms are required and which are optional.
Swine Clinic / Educational Resources
- The Swine Committee is planning for a spring / early summer clinic - check back later this year for more details.
Swine Outstanding Exhibitor Awards Program
- Outstanding Exhibitor Award Criteria
- Outstanding Exhibitor Approved Events
Swine Outstanding Record Books
- The Outstanding Record Book Awards are designed to recognize youth that take time to thoroughly complete their records books adding in details and financial, feed, and health records from throughout the entire project including final market auction price and calculating their profit or loss for those taking market projects. Youth wishing to have their record books judged should turn them in to the Extension Office by October 1st. Awards are presented at the Fall 4-H Recognition Banquet.
- Market Swine Outstanding Record Book Award Rubric
Swine Junior Fair Information
- 2021 Pre-Fair Letter / Reminders
- 2021 Swine Sale Order
- The Wayne County 4-H / FFA / Jr. Fair Swine Action committee is responsible for planning, organizing, and carrying out the swine program in consultation with and under the authority of OSU Extension and the Wayne County Agricultural Society (Senior Fair Board)
- Our 2021 Swine Committee is made up of the following individuals: Molly Devore, Zane Dilyard, Jerry Badger, Chris Griffin, Makenzie Harmon, Fred Shiffer, Jason Hastings, Katie Stull, Brad Stull, Elise Yacapraro, Brian Miller, Frank Workinger, Carl Way Jr, Levi Myers (FFA), Doug Foxx (OSU Extension) and Junior Fair Board members Riley Stull, Kelton Bair, Jo Bailey, Tyler Croft, Clay Mannasmith, Briar Muller, Hunter Mullet, Ben Rhoads, and Tyler Zimmerly.
Wayne County 4-H Swine Facebook Group
Be sure to join our Wayne County 4-H SwineFacebook Group where we share reminders, announcements, and other educational content related to the 4-H Swine program. Check us out on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/239935707160589